A healthy baby needs healthy food:
In the era of modern farming expecting 100% organic and chemical-free food is a complicated idea! With all these modern farming methods the basic nutrition which is important for our body is decreasing over time. So concentration on the best baby food brand has become one of great importance.
Breast milk or formula completes all the nutrition needs of a baby in their first six months of life. After this aged iron and zinc content reduces gradually leading to slow and weak baby growth. To kick start the growth and to increase the strength of the baby it is important to consider feeding solid food containing iron, zinc, and additional dietary intake.
To start with good solid supplies to the body, one should feed soft, pureed, and easily swallowable foods like cereals, mashed vegetables, curd, custard, mashed or soft fruits, etc.
How to choose baby food based on age?
The foods shall be fed categorizing in three stages:
- Stage 1- When the baby is 5-7 months old, start feeding the foods of stage 1. The foods included in stage 1 are soft and easily digestible. One can start feeding pureed food like infant cereal, purèes of chicken or turkey or any single ingredient purèes of vegetables or fruits.
- Stage 2- When a baby has been eating well of foods of stage 1, he/she shall be fed little hard foods like bread, Rotis, berries, etc at the age of 10-12months. It is recommended to feed cow’s milk-based on the baby’s digestive ability, say at the age of 1.
- Stage 3- After excelling stage 2 now the infant is ready to eat a little more normal foods like nuts, raw carrots, chips etc at the age of 1.5 or 2 years depending upon the growth and teeth development.
Best worldwide store-bought baby foods are:
- Baby Gourmet
- Earth’s Best Organic
- MeWe Baby
- Little Spoon
Beech-Nut is one of the old company which has been making baby food since 1931. They are dedicated to championing real food for a healthier world. It is made with real ingredients which are healthy and organic. The products offered by the company are cereal, baby food jars, baby food pouches, and toddler snacks. There are a variety of flavours offered by them. Their food is simple and without any sort of artificial preservatives. One who has a busy schedule and cannot prepare homemade baby food can prefer this commercial commodity for the best. The company is known for offering nutritious, delicious, and safe food.
A few of the offerings by the company are Beech-Nut Classics Stage 2 Sweet potatoes baby food, Beech-Nut Classics Apples, Beech-Nut Naturals Stage 1 just carrots, Beech-Nut Complete Multi-grain Cereal pack, Beech-Nut Complete Wholegrain Oatmeal pack, etc. One can buy these products online on Ubuy, Amazon, Desertcart, Beechnut.com, etc.
Baby Gourmet is one of the leading brands of Canada offering high-quality, organic, healthy meals, snacks, and beverages for babies and toddlers. Nourishing babies with purest and natural food is one of the important things to be kept in mind while raising an infant. Baby Gourmet is known for non-GMO organic ingredients- no fillers added sugar or salt or artificial preservatives of any kind. The taste is commendable, the quality uncompromised. And all needed nutrients are involved in every product of the company.
Some of the products offered by Baby Gourmet are Tasty smooth oatmeal, Ancient grain blend, Turkey veggie lasagna, Salmon and veggie pot pie, Coconut chicken curry and rice, Banana raisin oatmeal, etc. One can order online also on babygourmet.com
Earth’s Best Organic:
Earth’s Best Organic as the name of the company suggests, manufacturers products that are wholesome organic foods for infants, toddlers, and growing children. The company offers the best organic formulas, cereals, snacks, and meals at reasonable prices. The company believes that every baby deserves an organic start in life.
The products which are in the market are Organic dairy infant formula with iron milk-based powder, Organic toddler milk drink powder, Non-GMO plant-based infant formula with iron soy-based powder, Banana blueberries puree pouches, Organic fruit yogurt smoothie, etc. The products are available at physical stores and one can purchase online through earthsbest.com, Ubuy, HerbsPro India, etc.
MeWe Baby offers delicious easy to swallow nut butter leading to the introduction of peanuts to infants. Introducing peanut-containing foods to most infants nearly at the age of 6 months reduces the risk of peanut allergy risks by 80 percent. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that children with eczema or egg allergy first consume peanut-containing foods under medical supervision and then 6g of peanut protein per week until the age of five. This can be done by consuming 3 MeWe squeeze packs per week which are equivalent to 6g.
The company offers delicious flavours of peanut-containing squeeze pouch-like Strawberry peanut butter, apple cinnamon peanut butter, Banana peanut butter, etc. You can buy their products from physical or online stores like Amazon, mewenutrition.com
Feeding healthy food during the first two years after the baby’s birth is crucial. 65% of nutrients contribute to baby growth at the age of 1and 2. So here’s another best organization offering fresh organic foods, kid’s meals, vitamins, and natural remedies by Little Spoon. Little Spoon products are healthy, yummy, and loved by kids. The food is prepared freshly every week. There are no preservatives and no additives added. The food is not prepared under extreme heat and is available freshly in small batches. The company concentrates on fresh blends, seasonal flavours which are loved by babies. The food delivery takes place every 2 weeks.
Some of the offerings by Little Spoon are Cranapple pie, Gingerbread cookie, Strawberry basil beet pear chia blend, sweet potato carrot blend, etc. One can preorder the baby food by official website www.littlespoon.com
Top three baby food brands in India:
- Nestlè Cerelac
- Gerber Organic Baby Food
- Happa Organic Baby Food
Nestlè is the largest food company across the globe. The company got its establishment in 1866. The headquarters are located in Switzerland. It is one of the most popular and trusted baby food in India. The baby food is ideal for babies above 6months. The company has paid good attention to providing all needed nutrients to a baby in their food, especially when the child is growing it requires a good amount of iron which has been considered seriously by the company. It offers baby cereal that is Nestlè Cerelac which is served with milk and is available in different flavours.
Some of the products offered are Nestlè Cerelac 5 grains and fruits cereal, Nestlè Cerelac Rice Cereal, Nestle Cerelac Wheat apple, etc. The baby food is available in many physical grocery and stores, it can also be brought online via Flipkart, Amazon, as Nestle.in
Gerber Organic Baby Food:
Gerber Baby food products are organic and regular baby food available in three stages that is stage 1, stage 2, and stage 3. The food contains totally organic ingredients. Indian moms trust the products by Gerber Baby and therefore they are among the most brought baby food. The products offered are safe and delicious. They do not contain any preservatives, artificial colour or flavour enhances and are sugar-free making them organic and trustworthy.
The company offers a lot of products like Whole wheat whole-grain cereal, Rice banana apple cereal, Fig berry snack foods, etc. One can shop their products by visiting stores or online by placing an order on their official website or on other apps like snapdeal, iherb, Amazon.
Happa Organic Baby Food:
Happa Organic Baby Food offers fruit and veggies-based organic food for infants and toddlers. The baby food contains organic super grains, fruits, and veggies which are a great source of nutrition. It offers BPA-free packaging which is 100% healthy, with no added salt or sugar. The food is preservatives-free and contains purely fruits and veggies.
Their offerings include Organic sprouted ragi porridge, Mango and banana fruit puree, Organic apple and oat puree, etc. One can buy the baby food offered by Happa Organic Baby Food by visiting physical stores or even by online sources like Bigbasket, Veganmall, Flipkart, Amazon
Procedure for making instant ready to make baby food:
Some of the baby foods are ready to eat, some are instant and ready to make foods.
Procedure for ready to make porridge is:
- Take about 4 tablespoons of mix.
- Add 100 ml of boiled hot water to get a thick consistency.
- Add a teaspoon of oil or ghee for more energy content. (If required only)
- Feed it to the baby
- The porridge can also be fed with dal, gravy, milk, etc.
- You can mash fruits and add them if required.
Procedure for ready to make cereal is:
- Take a glass of water in a pan and boil it for five minutes.
- After boiling, leave the water until lukewarm.
- When lukewarm, take 75ml of water in a small bowl.
- Mix 3 spoons of the cereal in it.
- Mix well until lump-free and feed the baby.
Pros and cons of packed baby food:
- Baby food pouches are convenient.
- They are handy and child-friendly to feed.
- They contain a decent amount of nutrition like vitamins and minerals.
- It is an important to source of energy for children with feeding difficulties.
- Busy parents can definitely rely on ready-to-eat or ready-to-make food for their toddlers.
- The ingredients displayed and actual ingredients may be different and not very good for a growing child.
- The packed purees might turn out to be of a low quality than assured by the brand.
- The actual percentage of kale or quinoa is not mentioned.
- Some of the packed food after testing has resulted in a high content of arsenic.
- Few brands have failed because of metal content in their products.
Guidelines for selecting the best baby food:
Basic things to remember to select best baby food brand:
- Signs that show your baby needs solid foods are being able to sit, trying to stand with support, crawl, have steady neck and head control, doubling the bodyweight, etc.
- At the age of 6 months, the baby can be fed cereals along with breast milk.
- Select a Cereal that is rich in iron.
- Many parents start with rice cereal, but it can be inorganic arsenic in a baby’s diet.
- One shall keep in the notice about any kind of allergic reaction to cereal like rashes, diarrhea, vomiting, etc. And the Cereal can be made gradually thicker if there is no allergic reaction to the infant.
- You can include other foods like pureed fruits, veggies, and meat after the baby is habitual of eating cereal.
- Introduce new items at a slower pace, say a gap of 5-6 days.
- You can include soft foods like bread, berries, cheese, avocados, small pieces of meat, cooked pasta, etc at the age of 7-10months.
- Introducing nuts, popcorn, etc to small infants could be choking hazards.
- Consult a pediatrician for the best source of advice.
Some of the important concerns about best baby food brand:
- Physical checkups and strength testing of the baby are also an important part.
- If the child is developing teeth or under teething or unwell he might refuse to eat, consult your pediatrician as she would suggest a better list of food during such time.
- When shopping for commercial baby food, one of the important steps is to compare the ingredients and nutritional value of food which differs from brand to brand.
- Always check the expiry date of products before buying them.
- Purchasing organic food is always a better choice than any random baby food.
- Any tampered seal, the lid of jars, or pouches should be rejected as they have already been open.
- Avoid buying stained or cracked jars.
- Compare the budget, quality, and nutritional value of food before buying.
Our parents fed us the best homemade, healthy, and high in nutrition food and so we are leading a healthy and strong life. Therefore it is important to carry on a healthier legacy to our kids. But preparing homemade nutrition for infants in this busy world is a task to tackle! So here are few brands that offer home-type baby food with good nutritional value and commendable taste. They properly test and verify baby food before sales.
The best baby food brands are not best by names, best brands are those which offer high quality, maintains good authenticity, are hygienic, safe, organic, nutritional, genuine, and most importantly meeting the customer preferences undoubtedly with excellence. The best brands are best because they don’t compromise but compare, innovate and excel in their product development and product deliveries.